Friday, April 10, 2009

Grieved...?

I was on the 210 in my car, listening to Rita Springer sing about how deep and wide the love of God is for us, when I felt the need to cry. I felt grieved...burdened...somehow, alone. Maybe it was the fact that I had just come from watching the very graphic and intense Passion of the Christ movie. It's a haunting and intense protrayal of a profound truth. And just this week, I was asked not to forward that truth in any form. Sure, I was a little bummed (maybe even grieved?) because this friend--like my grandpa--was healed from cancer. And I have been praying the prayer of faith for her just as I prayed for my grandpa. And she is cancer free due to the healing power of God. So it is discouraging that the truth of that isn't acknowledged. But I press on because I know...perhaps...she too is taking baby steps. I suppose, just as the saying, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink goes...i guess the same can be said this way: you can lead a friend to the living water, but you can't make them drink it--or receive it. They have the free will to choose. Although, sadly, I don't think people really see it as a life or death situation.

There have been other good things and reports that have occurred this week. I have been blessed by children singing about the promises of God... and touched by a friend's strength to stand up against what she thought was meant for her and instead obey God's voice... and I have been filled by the Lord to speak prophetic words of hope into a friend's life who is going through a divorce.

In the movie, Claudia asks the Governor, "Do you know truth when you hear it?"

Do you?
Do I?

And even more importantly, Do we obey the truth when we hear it?
Because even the greatest truth can become common rhetoric if we refuse to heed or do anything with it. Quite possibly that's why it says in James to be doers of the word and not only hearers deceivng ourselves. (1:22)

No comments:

Post a Comment