Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Melon Collie...Mel 'n Callie...?

Okay so as I was pulling apart chunks of roast beef with my fork and intermittenly glancing at this week's episode of American Idol, when I all-of-a-sudden felt the need to cry. In fact, it happened a few times. I was a bit self conscious so I took my tiny bowl of cereal (dessert?) to my room (don't ask about the obscure combination) so I could cry behind a closed door. It couldn't be PMS since I am coming off my rag--something that usually makes me ecstatic. So I thought I'd look it up on dictionary.com, melancholy of course. Just to see if it aptly fits this place I find myself in.

mel⋅an⋅chol⋅y

/ˈmɛlənˌkɒli/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [mel-uhn-kol-ee] Show IPA noun, plural -chol⋅ies, adjective
–noun
1. a gloomy state of mind, esp. when habitual or prolonged; depression.
2. sober thoughtfulness; pensiveness.
3. Archaic.
a. the condition of having too much black bile, considered in ancient and medieval medicine to cause gloominess and depression.
b. black bile.
–adjective
4. affected with, characterized by, or showing melancholy; mournful; depressed: a melancholy mood.
5. causing melancholy or sadness; saddening: a melancholy occasion.
6. soberly thoughtful; pensive.

Origin: 1275–1325; ME melancholie <>melan- + chol() bile + -ia -ia Related forms:
mel⋅an⋅chol⋅i⋅ly, adverb
mel⋅an⋅chol⋅i⋅ness, noun
Synonyms:1. sadness, dejection, despondency. 2. seriousness. 4. gloomy, despondent, blue, dispirited, sorrowful, dismal, doleful, glum, downcast. 6. serious.
Antonyms:1. cheer, happiness. 5. happy.
Dictionary.com UnabridgedBased on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2009.
Cite This Source

Related Words for :
melancholy
melancholic, black bile

I found the "black bile" part of the listed definitions a bit humorous since I've consumed two bananas this week alone (more than I have consumed on a weekly basis before) and it seems to have caused me to be somewhat constipated. How fair is that? Ya try to be good and eat healthy, right? Anyway...random.

Maybe I am feeling the way I am due to the state our 5th - 8th grade class is in. Trying to organize prayer tonight--even a five minute prayer--was like giving my friend Mal's cat a bath (they don't sit still for it and it takes longer than it should making it a long, somewhat hysterical process. But you know it needs to be done so you press on.). And though I care about these kids, I'm afraid I don't really know them. So maybe that's something to concentrate and work on in the coming months.

By the way, the words I feel more aptly fit to my current mood and personality are highlighted in yellow above.

No comments:

Post a Comment