Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Eavesdropping

My friend and I met at a nearby Red Lobster because we had both been craving seafood (me shrimp scampi and she ANYthing from the sea). There was an African-American family behind me when I heard one child ask the parents, "Why did they elect Obama as president?" The father paused, probably because he was proud that his under-the-age-of-10-child showed such an interest and asked what could possibly have a profoundly inspiring answer. And he said (with a pause as if preparing to give a verbal list of reasons), "Well for one...because the people liked him"--'but the people don't know what he's done,' the child said interrupting. Then the other child,the older of the two, chimed in with, 'my friend says that Obama only wanted to be elected president so he could make white slavery.' Of course at that point, the parents quickly interjected, even going so far as to say that 'history would not repeat itself' in the same way as say, the holocaust. (Thank God.)
And after that rather controversial discussion, there wasn't a need for dessert.
10:00 pm - 1/21/09 - I found out from my friend today that the family sitting behind me wasn't African American. They were caucasian. (heh)

No comments:

Post a Comment