Friday, January 16, 2009

Senses

There was a small patch of perspiration at the back of my neck where I could literally feel the chill of the air conditioned breeze slowly creeping around my flesh to the back of my neck--which was a bit of an odd sensation since I had just turned the a/c on not five minutes prior when I hopped into my car from work and raced off. As I approached the one of the first red lights on Barranca, I slowly reached down with my left hand into the side pocket of my door to pull out some stand by body spray. As I sprayed myself, I could feel (with a cold chill) as it penetrated through the fibers of my pants and into each pore as the fragrance made contact. It felt so unusual to be so aware of the feeling; of my senses. Especially since I was so focused on getting to the hospital to see my grandfather who had been taken in earlier in the day. This wasn't the first time he was rushed to the hospital. However, each time tends to possess more of a risk that he wont come out walking. It has been an emotionally wearing time for our family in the past year; tensions are elevated with some level of fear of the unknown. One thing we do know is that we will do whatever it is we can to make my grandfather's life more pleasant. And even though my grandfather is 88, cancer does not have to be a death sentence. (Faithlessness is.) I've heard that when you lose one of your senses, all of your others are heightened and more sensitive. Maybe something in me has died.

No comments:

Post a Comment