Monday, August 24, 2009

Nothing But Me

I found this in my documents and I'm not sure when I wrote it...probably within the last 2 or 3 years. Usually I date everything I write.

Nothing But Me

Only a shadow remains
Of the memories of us you took away
And the parts of me I hid from all else

I could regret that I ever let you glimpse
And I could pretend that none of it mattered
But there‘s always been more to me than met the eye
And I have never lied to you before

Part of me wants to throw my head back
And say I’m unaffected and all is well
But if you look a little closer
You’ll see the lines that tell the story of my misfortune

The years of heartache I’ve yet to overcome
Not because I still desire you
But because I opened up too much of myself
And because I refuse not to love

I’ve gone someplace deep within my mind
A far off place that has kept me close to you
Holding memories that not even you could take away
Losing myself in the process of holding on

Unable to give
Paralyzed by the pain
A Crippling love
Solitude is my gain

Have you tried shaking me from your head?
Not as easy as it sounds
As hurtful as things were
I still remember every smile

We couldn’t help ourselves
We were both so young
None of which were true
But I loved you
I truly loved you

I’ve got nothing left
Given myself completely away
Nothing left but me
Holding close, fragments of a memory
Of you still so far away

In time this heart will heal
And so too will yours
Maybe if we weren’t somewhere so close
And yet still so far

I’ve got nothing left to give
Already given too much
Nothing left but me
And that’s not nearly enough
To please you






No comments:

Post a Comment